As part of its mandate to help promote the country’s tourism industry, the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) is holding its first National Art Competition using the country’s tourism campaign “It’s more fun in the Philippines” as the contest’s central theme.
Assistant VP for Corporate Communications Maricar Bautista said the 1st Pagcor National Art Competition intends to tap professional and budding painters “in coming out with beautiful pieces of artworks that will truthfully depict the colorful culture and undeniable beauty of the Philippines, the famed warmth and hospitality of its people, and the diverse activities that could be found in the country which will truly make one’s visit to the Philippines more fun and memorable.” The Philippines has a lot to offer, Bautista said.
“Apart from the genuine amiability of Filipinos, we have one of the world’s seven wonders of nature (the Puerto Princesa Underground River), some of the best beaches and natural scenic spots, and the most lively, colorful festivals being celebrated in different parts of the country during various times of the year,” she added.
“We hope to capture all of these through the 1st Pagcor National Art Competition. The winning artworks will be featured in the 2013 Pagcor Calendar for distribution to our various publics. This will be one way of promoting the Philippines as the more fun place to visit in support of the tourism department’s campaign,” Bautista explained.
The contest, according to Bautista, will also help showcase the talent and artistic ability not only of professional painters, but of aspiring painters as well who dream of establishing a name in the Art industry. “We know there are many talented painters out there who are only waiting for a chance to be discovered. This contest may just be the right venue for them to showcase their talent.”
- Non-Professional - Students from 13 to 23 years old
- Must be enrolled in a school accredited by the Department of Education (DepEd) or Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
- Professional - Individuals 24 years old and above
- Open to all nationalities provided that you are residing in the Philippines for the duration of the contest
- Theme: "It's more fun in the Philippines". Should be able to artistically and truthfully depict the unique Filipino culture, tourist destinations, diverse activities, exotic natural attractions, fiestas/festivals, etc. that make travelers experience fun when in the country
- Entry Guidelines
- Should be executed in full color using acrylic, oil, pastel or watercolor
- Any surface may be utilized for the artwork
- Size must be from 2 feet x 3 feet to 3 feet x 3 feet (including the box frame)
- Mixed media, collage works, and wet paintings will not be accepted
- Entries should be properly stretched with a box frame or in wrap-around stretcher
- The artwork to be submitted should not have been entered in any other art or design contest, nor ever published or printed commercially
- Should not bear an image of any government official
- Should have your signature on the lower right hand corner of the artwork
- Title of artwork
- Caption or Brief Text Description of the artwork
- Certificate attesting to the ownership of the artwork
- 2x2 colored picture of the participant
- Your personal Background or resume
- 35% Adherence to Theme
- 20% Overall impact
- 20% Technique/Execution
- 15% Composition
- 10% Color Harmony
- June 27-29, 2012 - Date of final judging
- July 6, 2012 - Announcement and awarding of winners
- Non-Professional - Three (3) Winners of P50,000 + Trophy
- Semi-Finalists - Seven (7) Winners of P5,000
- Professional - Three (3) Winners of P75,000 + Trophy
- Semi-Finalists - Seven (7) Winners of P10,000
- CASH prize
- You can submit a maximum of two (2) entries
- The winning entries shall be featured in the 2013 PAGCOR Calendar
- "PAGCOR shall have the sole ownership of all winning entries (finalists and semi-finalists) and may utilize the artworks for the Company’s communication materials"